Launching November 2019!!
The award-winning Gondwana Game Reserve is launching a three-night walking trail traversing through the private, Big five, 11 500 hectare, malaria-free game reserve. The trail takes you to three remote tented fly camp locations with two full days of hiking. Your expert trail guides will intimately expose you to the Reserve’s unique biodiversity and ecosystems while experiencing the Big Five and multiple species of antelope on foot.
Gondwana’s Pioneer Trail is the ultimate slack packing adventure where your belongings are moved daily between the three camps, allowing you to experience the dramatic Fynbos landscape with only a light day pack. Each exclusive camp is comprised of four tents with en-suite bathrooms sleeping a maximum of 8 guests. Homemade African inspired meals are catered for you with cold beverages on tap. You literally need to “just bring your boots” and the Pioneer Trail team will do the rest. It has been said there is no better way to experience nature and wildlife than on foot.
3 Tented Fly Camps each with:
- 4 sleeping tents with en-suite bathrooms (single or king) and covered outdoor seating area
- Main dining and lounge tent
- Outdoor dining boma and camp re area
- Staff complement: Camp Assistant and two Trails Guides (same team for 3 nights)
Pioneer Trail Detail
- Approximately 10 kilometres per day (+/- 6hrs of walking a day)
- Exclusive remote footpaths and game trails requiring medium exertion
- Daily packed lunches and tea and water breaks throughout the trail
- 12 years of age and above
- Physically capable of walking 6 hours a day
- Set departure days: Tuesday and Friday
3 Night Package Price
Per Person Sharing a Tent: R12 750 including accommodation, daily activities, all meals and select local beverages. Single Person in a Tent: R19,125 including accommodation, daily activities, all meals and select local beverages. The Trail runs in the summer season only from October through April. Launching November 2019.
3 Night Itinerary
- Arrival to Gondwana Game Reserve for lunch and check in (meet your trail team and discuss any dietary requirements or other details)
- Guests to pack 3 days of belongings into provided duffle bags and lock remaining luggage in their vehicle
- Guests to be issued with all hiking equipment: day packs, water bottles, walking sticks, etc
- Trails Team to transfer guests to first Tented Fly Camp in open Game Viewer
- Afternoon tea and treats in camp
- Afternoon guided Game Drive in Big Five Reserve with sundowner with your Field Guide
- Dinner and drinks around the fire
- Briefing for Day 1 on the trail
Day 2 and 3
- Morning Wake up
- Camp Breakfast
- Depart on Trail with packed day pack including provided lunch
- On the trail: Guided interpretive walking exploring the Fynbos biome, wildlife and birdlife with scenic rest stops and possible waterhole swims.
- Arrive at Fly Camp 2 and then Camp 3 at approximately 3 pm
- Settle into your new tent with your belongings delivered from Camp 1 and then Camp 2
- Afternoon Tea and treats provided
- Afternoon at leisure (Have a drink, take a shower, read a book)
- Dinner and Drinks around the campfire
- Morning Wake up
- Camp Breakfast Fry up
- Morning Game Drive out of remote campsite 3 back to your vehicle for check out.