** Please note that to book the Pioneer Trail on our booking engine you must have Monday or Thursday as a start day with a 3 night stay.
You may contact reservations by email or phone for assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 021-555-0807, cell: 074-582-4861
Gondwana’s new three night walking trail!
The award winning Gondwana Game Reserve has launched a three night walking trail traversing through the private, Big five, 11 000 hectare, malaria free game reserve. The trail takes you to three remote tented fly camp locations with two full days of hiking. Your expert trail guides will intimately expose you to the Reserve’s unique biodiversity and eco systems with the opportunity to potentially experience wildlife on foot.
Gondwana’s Pioneer Trail is the ultimate slack packing adventure where your belongings are moved daily between the three camps, allowing you to experience the dramatic Fynbos landscape with only a light day pack. Each exclusive camp is comprised of four exquisitely appointed bedroom tents with en-suite bathrooms sleeping a maximum of 8 guests as well as beautifully furnished lounge and dining tents. Homemade African inspired meals are catered for you with cold beverages on tap. You literally need to “just bring your boots” and the Pioneer Trail team will do the rest. It has been said there is no better way to experience nature and wildlife than on foot.
- 3 Tented Fly Camps each with: 4 bedroom tents with en-suite bathrooms and covered outdoor seating area
- Main dining and lounge/bar tents
- Outdoor campfire area
- Staff complement: Camp Assistant and two Trails Guides (same team for 3 nights)
Pioneer Trail Detail
- The trail traverses the 11 000 hectare, free roaming Big five game reserve under the escort of two armed and qualified trail guides.
Approximately 10 kilometres of walking per day (+/- 6hrs of walking a day).
- Exclusive remote footpaths and game trails requiring medium exertion.
- Daily packed lunches and tea and water breaks throughout the trail.
- Duffel bags are provided for guests to pack their clothing items needed for the 3 day trail into. Their remaining belongings can be locked in their vehicle.
- Participants need to be at least 12 years old. If over 65, a doctor’s certificate declaring your fitness for such a hike is required.
- Participants need to be capable of walking up to 10km a day (+/- 6hrs), sometimes in very hot and humid conditions.
- Set departure days: Monday and Thursday with 3 night stay.
- The Trail runs in the summer season only from October through May.
As part of our Secluded Safari SPECIALS, we are offering the below exclusive take over rates in the pioneer camp.
Click on the images to find out more
3 Night Package Price – Special Launch Season rate from November 2019
Per Person Sharing a Tent: R12 750 including accommodation, daily activities, all meals and select local beverages.
Single Person in a Tent: R19 125 including accommodation, daily activities, all meals and select local beverages.
Rates from October 2020 :
Per Person Sharing a Tent: R15 300 including accommodation, daily activities, all meals and select local beverages.
Single Person in a Tent: R22 950.00 including accommodation, daily activities, all meals and select local beverages
3 Night Itinerary
- Arrival at Gondwana Game Reserve for a light lunch and to meet your trail guides
- Guests to pack 3 days of belongings into provided duffle bags and lock remaining luggage in their vehicle
- Trail Guides to transfer guests to first Tented Camp in open Game Viewer
- Check into your tent followed by afternoon tea and treats in the lounge tent
- Pre dinner drinks and snacks in the lounge tent and briefing for Day 1 on the trail
- Group dinner in the dining tent
Day 2 and 3
- 6/6:30am Morning Wake up
- Breakfast in dining tent
- 7/7:30am depart on trail with packed day pack including provided lunch and water bottle
- On the trail: guided interpretive walking, exploring the Fynbos biome, wildlife and birdlife with scenic rest stops and possible waterhole swims.
- Arrive at Tented Camp 2 and then Camp 3 at approximately 4pm on day 1 and 2pm on Day 2
- Settle into your new tent with your belongings delivered from Camp 1 and then Camp 2
- Afternoon lunch snacks and drinks provided on arrival to camp from trail in the lounge tent
- Afternoon at leisure (Have a drink, take a shower or bath, read a book)
- Afternoon game drive from Camp 3 (a top game area in the Reserve) after the second full day of hiking for those that wish to go out
- Group dinner in the dining tent
- 7:30am Morning Wake up
- 9am Camp Breakfast Fry up around the fire
- 10:00am Trail guides to transfer guests to their vehicle for check out and re-pack into their own luggage
What to pack
Please note that hiking apparel should be natural coloured – nothing too brightly coloured and no black or white as these stand out in the bush.
- 1-2 pairs of hiking or athletic shorts
- 1-2 athletic walking pants/leggings/loose jeans to hike in if cold or to protect legs from brush
- 2 t-shirts or bush shirts with short or long sleeves
- 1 thin athletic/jersey top to wear if cold
- 1 warm athletic top and/or puffer jacket for around camp at night
- Jeans or comfortable pants and tops for fire at night
- Trail running or walking shoes or hiking boots – must have a decent tread
- Comfy shoes and flip flops for around camp – slippers/uggs
- Sunhat / baseball hat / beanie
- Rain / wind breaker type jacket to carry in daypack if it rains – disposable rain ponchos are provided
- Warm and cool pyjamas
- Sunscreen, underpants, socks, bras, etc
Download Gondwana’s Pioneer Trail Brochure and Fact Sheets
Pioneer Trail Gallery