World-class tourist facilities and attractions on Gondwana’s doorstep include championship golf courses at Pinnacle Point, Pezula, Oubaai and Fancourt, great swimming and surfing beaches and the attractive coastal towns of Mossel Bay, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay. This particular South African game reserve is located 30 minutes outside of Mossel Bay on the Indian Ocean with top amenities such as beautiful beaches, top seaside golf courses, deep seas fishing, Shark cage diving and private hospitals and restaurants. The Garden Route is known as the Garden of Eden; the area is one of the most visually spectacular tourism destinations in the world with mountains and ocean wherever you look.
Day trips to many of the nearby attractions are easy from the game reserve. A morning round of golf at Pinnacle Point golf course can be followed by a sunset game drive, after lunch and a nap of course! Gondwana has negotiated preferred golf rates at all the local courses.
A fantastic self-drive itinerary would include:
- 2-3 nights in Cape Town – pick up rental car in city and drive to Winelands
- 2 nights in the Cape Winelands (45 minute drive from the city center)
- 3 nights at Gondwana (3.5 hours from the winelands)
- 2-3 nights in Knysna (1.5 hour drive from the game reserve)
- Depart George airport and return rental car (1 hour drive from Knysna)
- Sand Boarding – 30.1 km
- Ski Boating – 30.1 km
- Deep Sea Fishing – 30.1 km
- Sky Diving – 33.5 km
- Point of Human Origin – 27.6 km
- Helicopter Flips – 30.6 km
- Shark Cage Diving – 29.7 km
- Jakkalsvlei Private Wine Cellar – 16.3 km
- Reed Valley Wine Farm – 16.3 km
- SAPREC Penguine Sanctuary – 16.3km
- Pinnacle Point – 27,4km (27min drive)
- Oubaai – 68,9km (53min drive)
- Fancourt – 70,6km (54min drive)
- Simola – 130,3km (1hr 37mins drive)
- Pezula – 135,4km (1hr 34mins drive)
- Goose Valley – 162,7km (2hr 50mins drive)
- Fynbos Golf and Country Estate – 260,9km (3hr 12mins drive)
- St Francis Links – 322,1 (3hr 47mins drive)
The Garden Route, Western Cape
The Western Cape is located on the south west coast of South Africa where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. The area is anchored by Cape Town, a thriving urban center popular with residents and tourists alike. Trip Advisor named Cape Town the # 1 tourism destination in the world in 2011.
The increasingly popular Garden Route is a 160 mile stretch along the coast 4 hours east of Cape Town running from the coastal town of Mossel Bay to the beach vacation destination of Plettenberg Bay. The area is sought after as a prime tourism destination and highly desirable location for leisure investment. It is a nature’s wonderland, boasting some of South Africa’s most beautiful, unspoilt beaches, temperate, inviting waters, as well the majestic Swartberg, Langeberg, and Outeniqua Mountain Ranges. Green rolling hills are abundant covered in stunning Fynbos vegetation, unique to this part of the world, drawing indigenous birdlife.
Now acclaimed as a golfing mecca, the Garden Route boasts many of South Africa’s top-rated golf courses and golf estate developments, with ± 26 golf courses in the area, many of which are oceanside. The most popular being the Links at Fancourt, home to the 2004 President’s Cup, Pinnale Point with a dramatic Darren Clarke ocean cliff design Oubaai Golf Estate, Ernie Els personal course, and Pezula, arguably one of the most stunning courses and estates in the world.
Situated approximately midway between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, the coastal town of Mossel Bay is considered the gateway to The Garden Route and the Klein Karoo. It is popular for its mild and consistent climate, warm waters and its North facing location on the sea, one of the few in the world.
Additional distances to Mossel Bay from:
- Cape Town International Airport : 392km (3.5 hours drive 45 min flight)
- Johannesburg International Airport :1 234km (10 hours drive 1 hr 45 min. flight)
- Durban International Airport :1 306km (12 hours drive 2 hr flight)
- George Domestic Airport : 40km (20 min drive)
- Mossel Bay local Airport : 20km (10 min drive)
*There are daily domestic flights to and from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban to George Airport. There are also major flight charter companies situated at George airport.
Overlooking a beautiful Indian Ocean bay with North facing beaches, Mossel Bay is a year round resort town boasting one of the best climates in the world, only second to Hawaii as recorded in The Guinness Book of World Records. Thousands of holidaymakers, both South Africans and internationals, flock to the dazzling beaches every year to enjoy this wonderful climate and year-round activities, like golf and whale watching, fantastic surfing, as well as the many nearby attractions.
Today, with over 65,000 inhabitants and excellent road, rail, sea and air links comparable to any in South Africa, as well as a harbor which meets the growing demands of the fishing fleet and the Petrol SA project, Mossel Bay is a thriving, vibrant town.